Calling all Alpha Females! Put your adventure boots on, and join me for six unforgettable days of winter photography, learning, creativity, and collaboration in the Canadian Rockies! This workshop is designed by women for women. My goal is to build community among a group of like-minded ladies, while cultivating your skills in photography, and helping you to share your work with the world.
Be prepared to fall in love with winter on my Canadian Rockies Photography Workshop! It is no secret that winter is my favourite time of year to photograph the majestic Rocky Mountains. Early January is the perfect time to see some of the most amazing winter phenomena, as waterfalls are completely frozen, and the frozen methane bubbles have formed on the lakes. With six days to explore the Rockies you will see all of the best that Banff, Jasper, and Yoho National Parks have to offer!
What you will learn on the Canadian Rockies Photography Workshop
This workshop is designed to help you take your photography to the next level through developing your technical skills, and building your social media presence.
- Shooting techniques for high dynamic range
- Achieving super sharp images from corner to corner
- Focus stacking
- Getting creative with compositions
- Understanding depth of field
- Night shooting including
- focusing at night
- working creatively with light
- adding the human element to your photos
- how to get sharp images in low light
Building a Social Media Presence
I get asked a lot about how I have grown my following on social media, and how I have come to work with brands such as Sony, B&H Photo, Acura, and SLIK USA. As part of the Canadian Rockies Photography Workshop, I will cover:
- How to grow your following on social media
- The latest changes to the algorithms, and what this means for your following
- How to get maximum exposure of your content
- How to approach brands that you would like to work with
What is Included
- All lodging – We will be staying at the enchanting Emerald Lake Lodge for 5 nights. Each cabin is equipped with a wood burning fireplace to cozy up to after a full day of shooting. The best part about staying here is the ability to step outside of our cabin doors to get amazing shots of this quintessentially Canadian cabin on the lake.
- Transportation from Calgary airport to all shooting locations
- Park passes for the national parks
- Photography Instruction
- A photography hike with wolves
- Post Processing. To get the most out of your images I will be teaching you manual exposure bracketing and focus stacking. If you typically shoot everything in a single image, and you shy away from photoshop, these easy to follow processing sessions will help you to conquer your fear of Photoshop and take your images to the next level! We can work on your favourite images from the workshop and I can show you how to edit images that will inspire others.
I am happy to announce that Sony will be supporting this workshop with a variety of cameras and lenses for you to try! This is a great opportunity for you to try a full frame camera, or take a new lens for a test drive. Of course, this is totally optional: If you are not a Sony shooter, you can use your own gear, or try out a Sony camera if you want to see what all of the excitement around Sony’s mirrorless cameras is about.
We are also super fortunate to have B&H photo supporting this event! With this kind of support, there really isn’t anything that we can’t create together! And, B&H always has fun surprises in store for those who are attending the workshop!
- Camera with interchangeable lens
- Spare batteries
- Battery chargers
- Shutter release cable (recommended but not essential)
- A STURDY tripod. I can’t emphasize enough how important it is to have a solid tripod. Many people spend thousands of dollars on cameras and lenses, and mount their gear on a flimsy $60 tripod. If you invested money in a camera, don’t risk damaging it by putting it on a tripod that won’t stand up to wind and weather!
- A headlamp for night shooting. White light is preferred (no red lights!)
- Warm layers
- I recommend three layers to keep you toasty warm during our adventures. First, a thermal layer, such as Merino wool. This type of fabric keeps you warm and dries quickly. Second, a fleece layer. Fleece is very insulating. Finally, outer wear that blocks wind. A winter jacket and ski pants will be perfect.
- Warm gloves, face mask, and hat
- Heat packs for inside of mittens and boots
- Micro spikes (ice cleats) that slip on over your boots.
- Laptop for post-processing
This workshop will have a flexible itinerary that will allow us to seek out the best light. Emerald Lake Lodge is fairy central between Banff, Lake Louise, and some of my favourite shooting locations along the Icefields Parkway.
We will also be visiting the Northern Lights Wildlife Centre to photograph and hike with wolves! This is a unique experience that will stretch our photography skills as we trade tripods and wide angle lenses for fast shutters and long lenses. We will walk alongside the wolves as they explore the mountain valley in search of new smells, and photograph them in the wild.
We will keep our eye on the aurora forecast as the winter months produce some of the most amazing Northern Lights displays! If we are lucky enough to catch the dancing green lights, they will be visible outside our cabin doors!
My name is Rachel Jones Ross. I am extremely lucky to call the Canadian Rockies home. I love winter so much that I don’t generally plan any travel between November and February. I have a Master of Science in psychology, and I taught in college and university before making the move to teaching photography full time. I love landscape and astro photography, but I get most excited when I can create stories with my images!
Accommodations are based on shared occupancy. I highly recommend flying in the night before the workshop starts, as winter weather can be unpredictable and flights can be delayed or cancelled. The total cost of the workshop is $2950 (USD). A deposit of $950 is required to hold your spot. Deposits are non-refundable.
January 16-21st, 2019 (2 spots left)
February 6th to 11th, 2019
February 20-25th, 2019 (Wait list only)
Please don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions. You can contact me using the form at the bottom of the page.
I look forward to working with you!